Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Default Tall Cobra Drivers

Many people ask me how I fit in a Cobra, because I am 6' 6" tall. I fit in my Superformance OK due to some modifications outlined below. It's not as comfortable as my daily driver, but I can go 75 to 100 miles before I need to get out and stretch my legs

The web site address in the article above are:
http://www.secondstrike.com/SecondSt...re/KneePad.htm
http://www.secondstrike.com/SecondSt...danShifter.htm

If you want a copy of the article, a jpg file is located in my Gallery in the Articles section.

Of course, if you are tall and trying to decide which Cobra to buy, the best bet is to sit (and/or drive) as many different Cobras as you can. The best place to do this is at any of the big Cobra gatherings like WSCB, London Ohio show, Run & Gun, etc.

Of course, there are many stretched wheelbase Cobras. For a list of those Cobra Manufacturers see the following thread ...

List of Manufacturers

Last edited by wtm442; 12-02-2007 at 04:29 AM..
Old 10-07-2007, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

I think that is very solid advice. It has taken me almost 2 years to get confortable in my Lonestar ( 94 inch wheel base). Getting a good seat really helps but it is a real challenge as most of the seats I tried would not fit in the car. I spent a fair amount of cash in return shipping.

Another variable that really helped me was getting the pedals adjusted correctly. This in combination with the seat and steering wheel has made 1 hour plus drives reasonable.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Great advice, Warren. I'm also using most of the mods you have suggested (me being ONLY 6'3").

-Dean #747
Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Warren, I have to share this story with you (and others).

About 6 months ago I had a McLeod scattershield and new clutch installed by a reputable local shop that does a lot of Superformance cars. I had removed the seat tracks and fabricated my own brackets so that I could gain the maximum amount of leg room. As most here know, the best way to perform tranny/clutch work on these cars is to remove the seats and tranny tunnel. Well, after the shop got it all together the seat just never felt the same. I've been living with it since then, as I had other mechanical maladies I had to work on. That was until yesterday afternoon and this thread.

I pulled the seat yesterday, tightened up my homemade bracket, and reset everything (eliminated the washer stack and used your adjustable idea) so that the seat leaned back the way it should. WOW! I think I even have a little more leg room than what I originally started with! It is really amazing how much a degree or two of leanback will create copius amounts of additional knee room under the dash.

This is a MUST DO mod for anyone at least 6'1" or taller, and should also work for non-SPF cars as well.

-Dean
Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Dean
Glad I could help. I've moved the drivers seat back on every car I have ever owned, including Town Cars, Grand Marquis, etc.

After I had moved and tilted the seat in my SPF, I let the previous owner drive it again. He was totally amazed at the difference, and he is only 6' 3" tall (about 3 inches shorter than me).

It also gives me better support for my upper legs (thunder thighs).
Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Great Advice Warren...I have been thinking of ways to get a little leg room in the ERA I am building and love the 14inch steering wheel idea.

PS...has anyone (tall drivers) attempted to utilize one of those custom "kirkey" (sp?) seats...they seem to grip you better and with less padding I was thinking it would offer more leg room?

Kramer
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Kramer
Do a search on CC for Kirkey. There are tons of threads on seats within Club Cobra. There is also quite a few threads on the subject on the FFR forum.

The Vintage Kirkey seats do not look like the original Cobra seats, so that would be a negative for quite a few people.

If the search does not give you the answers, suggest you post another question on the ERA section of CC, rather than here in the SPF section.

Last edited by wtm442; 10-10-2007 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Warren, I will do the search but I know enough about them already. The question with respect to this SPF thread was if anyone (SPF owners or otherwise) had utilized these seats in order to create more room.

PS..the vintage kirkey seats can be made to reflect the orginal cobra race seats. (I cannot comment for sure, but understand this style of seat was indeed used for racing back in the 60's)