SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

I've been reading threads on CC for a long time and only recently joined. This thread was initially great popcorn entertainment, with an extra dose of "you've gotta be kidding" when I read fordfan's comments. What to me was an obvious new poster only here to bash a vendor and put the internet HEX on the people he wanted money from generated an amazing quantity of bad-bad Keisler and bad-bad Tremec verbiage. As the thread has gone on I finished my popcorn and now am mostly discouraged with many of the responses. I've read a few comments that echo my concerns - when did it become OK to lie and cheat and expect others to be responsible for whatever goes wrong? I've had Tremecs, several years ago I bought a kit from Keisler, last week I bought a TKO600 from jimiG. I've never had a problem, and for sure if I blew one up racing I wouldn't dream of trying to scam someone else to pay for it. You race it, you own it. What part of that is not understood? Sure the "make it go away" philosophy is the quick cure to avoid attention. I'm glad not everyone looks the other way when people deceive, lie and cheat. This case here is amazing, a totally dishonest customer was still offered free labor and a deal on parts, and still goes out to light up the forums with his rants on Keisler and Tremec. Well that's just my opinion not even 2c worth, I'm off to get some more popcorn.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Tremec, reach into the rack of gears and give one away. What's the BFD?

It was misrepresented what was going on at the time it broke, so it's the principal of the thing? Get over it! It happens all the time, in all industries, and it is your decision how to deal with it. Either call your customer a liar to his face, and tell him to pound salt, (or is it sand?), or call him a liar amongst your selves, take care of the problem, and move on. The dealer offered the labor at N/C, and I commend Keisler for that! The manufacturer has dug in their heals, and that is their decision.

Ford Fan, IMO, buy the gear and take the labor,... as Richard said, get that Charger back on the road!

Last edited by Burgs; 11-03-2006 at 06:50 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Here is a suggestion, why don't you guys use one user name. You all have the same IP, yet there is like five guys from your shop on CC. Not that we don't mind an increase in members, but you all seem to have nothing better to do than "damage control".

I don't feel this other guy's efforts are at me or member of this Club, but you all are making your efforts clear.

Don,. you got two bags of buttered over there?

Last edited by trularin; 11-03-2006 at 06:58 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4502, 302 Stack Injection
Not Ranked     

If you would like to see another side of the story about whether Tremec does or does not stand behind their product, take a look at this posting about a guy's problem's with his TKO in his FFR. Not only did Tremec send him a new transmission after they couldnt find what was wrong with the old one, they sent him a nice Tremec jacket for being so patient and understanding about things. And no I dont work for Tremec or Keisler, but I do have a TKO 600 in my car with which I have had zero problems.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb.../t/079435.html

Take care.

Tom
Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps I should clarify my position.
I support Keisler, they've offered a fair solution and did so BEFORE this thread even started.
I sympathize with Fordfan69, it's a nightmare at best. It DOES leave me wondering if Tremec has a 3rd gear problem with manufacturing. Probably not, I would STILL buy a Tremec!
This is an entertaining thread, train wrecks are also entertaining.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, I am really surprised at the vehemence people are displaying in this thread, especially when they don't have a dog in this fight.

While, I understand Fordfans wanting something for nothing, if the company's policy is otherwise then so be it. After reading all these rather entertaining posts, I would still consider Keisler and Tremec, in fact I am.

Ron
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by easystep
I would still consider Keisler and Tremec, in fact I am.

Why, If you want a proven "race" transmission, this is the ONLY way to go:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/

________
Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I have been looking for a TKO 600. Keisler was in my prospective supplier file. At this point Keisler is off the list. Not because I side with Fordfan, but just because I hate any hassle. I can't take sides here, since the "facts" are truly only heresay (Keisler says that Tremec said...). I

I can say that just because of the questions this has raised, and the fact that I will not spend a bunch of my effort to determine who is right, I will not pursue Keisler. There are other suppliers out there that I have not (yet?) heard of this type of issue with...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Hmmm

Considering the current rate for shop time, and the number of hours spent nurturing this thread alone, this has got to be the worlds most expensive NON-repair job!

And yes, I do have a lot of free time on my hands...Maui in 4 days, I'm already there.

P.S. I'd still like to know who they think has the burden of proof regarding abuse. Manufacturer or Customer?

Last edited by ByronRACE; 11-03-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At this point Keisler is off the list. Not because I side with Fordfan, but just because I hate any hassle.
I

This is probably what some of you guys were talking about.

What hassle are you refering too. the one where we offered this person a solution. then he decided to post false statment to fix his mistake.

or is it because of his hearsay and our documentation?

This guy has generated posts on three forums with almost 6 thousand veiws
and only a small % posting. I have to think there some of the people out there like you, and I hope the rest will see the fact that we are here to help.

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion. I just hope you all can see through the smoke and see we are a repituable company.

Gene
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MKII FFR# 5415 Pickup date 8-14-04. Mass-Flo EFI 408ci stroker, Vic jr heads ,TKO600, solid axle. TiO2 with black stripes.
Not Ranked     

I have the old TKO in my mustang, 471rwhp and 489rwtq with over 100 drag strip passes on it no problems. I can't fig out how you could bust one on a 2000lb car.

Visit the ghetto
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Don't forget the search engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEISLERGENE
This guy has generated posts on three forums with almost 6 thousand veiws
Even more disturbing is what will happen when the search engines find this thread and index it. I'd be willing to bet it'll be pretty darn high on the list if you search for Keisler or TKO600, considering how many times it appears in the thread. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

I.E. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search

Last edited by ByronRACE; 11-03-2006 at 08:53 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE
Even more disturbing is what will happen when the search engines find this thread and index it. I'd be willing to bet it'll be pretty darn high on the list if you search for Keisler or TKO600, considering how many times it appears in the thread. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

I.E. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search

I want your job all this and going to Maui too
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEISLERGENE
I want your job all this and going to Maui too
I know! Can it get any better?

By the way, who has the burden of proof regarding abuse? The manufacturer or the customer? You got that exhaustive test report handy? Sure would like to see it.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE

I know! Can it get any better?

By the way, who has the burden of proof regarding abuse? The manufacturer or the customer? You got that exhaustive test report handy? Sure would like to see it.

Well I can tell you that you can rest assure in the case of your transmission if you chose to buy one it would all be on you.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Gene,

The hassle is really just me mulling over and over whether I (I'm a rocket scientist) I think Tremec is incapable of ever making a bad gear (I know you and supposedly also Tremec say the gear is not bad) and if I'd be unlucky enough to get the bad gear, and if I'd get a fair investigation if I thought a failed gear might be bad. I can tell you that in the real world (not aftermarket toy-car stuff) we would do a lot more than just look at a gear that failed before we'd assign a cause. I employ many metallurgist types that use SEM and other techniques to look at fractures before I jump to a conclusion about a source of a failure. I just do not have time to deal with any company that I have any questions about.

And as far as heresay goes, I was referring to your description of the Tremec rep and what he had to say about all this. Since the Tremec rep has not posted the results of his analysis, all his statements are heresay provided by you...

I have to agree with several folks here who have indicated that they would be concerned about a philosophy of requiring the customer to prove the fault lies with the supplier. If Tremec would send a written failure analysis report, stating the methods utilized and the results of this wethods (other than "I looked at it and this is my opinion"), I'd be more inclined to not be worried.

All in all, I'll go with a supplier that I have not heard of problems with.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Tremec had issues in the past with the case expanding on 3550's when the tranny is loaded, and third gear breaks. If you add in a heavy car(dodge) and the difference between second and third gear ratio's, they are far apart, it looks like it loaded the tranny, the case expanded and the teeth snapped off.

First and second are pretty low gears, so even in a heavy vehicle, they usually won't break. 4th gear is direct, so it won't load the tranny. Thats why third gear breaks. In a cobra, the vehicle is so light, the tranny is not really loaded as much as a heavier vehicle, so breakage is less likely.

Why should they warranty it? The tranny worked fine. If you buy a cup motor from a cup engine builder, there is no warranty. Same with a jerrico transmission. You break it, you eat it.

I think the tremecs are good transmisions, but they are not bullet proof. They aren't jerrico's for sure, but they do a nice job. And, who knows what the real story is anyway. Maybe he made 50 drag strip passes in a row and the tranny got hot, maybe had a leak, that case expands and the gear rides too high and breaks.

I think the shop is being fair in offering a compromise in this situation. It is what it is guys, and frankly the nature of the beast.

Scott
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Cheers!
Dave
Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Got my second bag of extra butter, full kernel popcorn!

Dave! Ernie!

This is truely rich.

Do you al think we could get these guys back next week with say...a broken rear axel or maybe a leaking front Caliper or something?

Do they think this will go away?? It's like STD..with no cure.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I thought he said it was a big Dodge (Charger?) with slicks. Not drag radials but SLICKS. Isn't that Lenco territory?
________