SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fe motor and trans

I just recently got a 427 side oiler and need to figure out what bell housing and trani will work. I have seen that there are a few bell housings made for these FE motors, but I would like to use a stock 5 speed mustang trani for a while. I realize that the splines and length of the input shafts and such are all different. Whats the best way to figure out the fitment of these ford transmissions?
The 4 bolts that hold the trani to the bell housing are they different from a 4 speed to a 5 speed?

Another question.. The fox body 4 cyclinder 5 speed and 302 GT 5 speed they are the same on the outside, just different internals? Cause they look the same..?????

Also the 1994+ 5 speeds, will they all bolt up to the same bell housing?

Ford is so confusing, This is why i have been a GM guy for so long.

thanx
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Being in AZ I would suggest a call to Gordon Levy Racing.. He can provide several options for bellhousing/clutch/trans for your and he's just over in Phoenix.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

All manufacturers have their low-points....i.e. GM has their short/long water pumps, having to run buttons/special timing covers with roller cams, etc., etc. It's just something you have to muddle through.

As for your transmission/bellhousing, I would recommend figuring out what transmission that you'll eventually switch over to. The T5 transmission most likely won't last long behind an FE with any kind of power. There are exceptions to every rule, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, there are bellhousings available from Quicktime and some other manufacturers that will allow you to use a T5 transmission and then upgrade later to a TKO 500/600.

The T5 has the same diameter input shaft as a small Toploader transmission (1-1/16x10), but it is longer. It is not the same as a TKO 600 (1-1/8x26). So if you plan to do some switching later on, you may have to do some clutch disc switching as well. The mounting pattern is also the same as a Toploader, along with the TKO's.

I think you can get adapter plates to adapt a T5 to a Toploader bellhousing, but I never did like the adapter plate idea. It seems like a cheap fix to me, that introduces more manufacturing tolerances.

If I were going to go with a temporary T5, I would aim for a World Class T5 out of the Fox Mustang line.

I sell everything that you'd need for the swap. Feel free to email me with more questions or for some pricing.

brent@b2motorsportsllc.com
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Save your money

Im2fast4U Speedy What are the power numbers of your 427? thoughs tranny you are talking about are good for about 300 HP and torque. T-5, T-3550, If you are going to look at trannys, go look at either the TKO 600 or the Richmond super street 5 spd over drive unit. As far as bell housings, to save weight Quicktime is alot lighter,(20) lbs. It is to be reported as now SFI certified and stamped. Lake wood bell housing is bigger and needs to be aligned to the back of the block to center the crank. I have been told that Quicktime is centered to start and no problems. Not sure about throwout bearing or fork that is needed. Which clutch assembly do you have? Fork or hydro bearing? You will need to order a clutch for the setup. What rearend ratio is in the car? You don't want anything larger that a 2.80 first gear and get an overdrive 5th gear. This will help in cruising and gas milage on long cruises. You will need to check the input shaft on some tranny in an FE setup. The input my need to have .380" removed from the pilot end. If not can do major damage to the thrust bearing in the motor. If you want to talk send me a private e-mail with your number and good time to call you. Us gm techs have to stick togeather. 28+ years. Have an IDL on 6.6 motor in 1.5 hours. For good prices on the whole setup, call Brent. I have gotten parts from him and no problems. Got the part quick, fit first time, easy to reach if you have any questions. Check around for prices also. Rick L. I know it sucks but save the money and get the right stuff for a 1 time fix. Besides every dealership is getting a letter tomorrow about our futures. I heard time through the grape vine and my be just that, but in the news GM said it is closing another 30% of the dealerships over the next year. Watch your comebacks, CSI, and repeat repairs. Rick.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I was just looking at some T10 4 speeds. I always used the T10 in all my GM cars and just love them. Although going from tucson to phoenix will not be so great. But I could deal with it. My FE is probably around 400-500 HP. the T10 should work OK i assume. I been looking at the T10 from the 60's and 70's so they are old but more date correct. Mostly large spline what i think what... about 10-12 spline? If i were to get a stock fe bell housing would the t10 fit right up?

Sorry bout all the questions, any rearend gurus?

I have no axle yet, If i use a stock mustang 8.8" is there a length i should be looking for? I hear that the 87-93 rear ends are shorter in length than the 94+ stangs. I would assume because of the lack of a dish in the late model stang wheels. Also is the rear end different from the V6 to the GT? Not concerned about cobra stuff. But I want to use a deep dish wheel.

I used to have a ford 9" laying around and if i recal it was longer than the mustang 8.8's Anyone using the 9 inch, if so do you have to swap tubes?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Which T-10 trans?

Im2fast4U Any chance of getting a first name?? Any way you build an M-22 with the correct endplay and clearances in the case there should be no problems. The problem will be the length of the input shaft and the bell housing you are using. Not sure about Quick time bell housing but with a GM trans you have to check and measurment of the input shaft and possible remove.380" on the pilot end. IF not you will destroy the thrust bearin gin the motor. This is with the Lakewood bellhousing. You will need to get the right pilot bearing or bushing for the crank shaft. You may have to buy a FE pressure plate and GM disc for this to work. I did. IMO stay far away from centerforce, JUNK in my opinion. The only way mine worked was to remove the sliding weights on the pressure plate. If you have more than 450 ft of torque the gold pressure plate will slip under hard power.
Are you trying to build a perfectly correct Shelby cobra of that era?
What tires are you looking to run on the car? BFG, Avons, BB Goodyears?
Are you looking to install the correct shifter handle in the car? Mustang curved?
Unless you are going into SAAC shows and trailering the car everywhere, you would be a little foolish to not put an overdrive trans in the car. Unless you find a mini me to look under the car, the car sits about 4-5" off the ground
What rearend ratio are you looking at?
I can't help you with the correct length of the rearend housing but we have guys racing there cars with both 8.8" rearends and 9" rearends. There are a number of ratios for both. Which every one you go with, get 30 spline axles. If you go with the 8.8 get a gridle for the rear caps for support. 9" rearend get the carrier with the larger pinion bearings. You will have to mockup the rearend in the car. Get it setup with solid lower "A" arms. Have the top ones adjustable. Get an adjustable panbar that goes from the frame to the rearend. This will keep the readend centered during turning manuvers. Look at what the 1/4 drag racer are using. If you are going to autocross or roadrace the car, look at the IRS rearends out of the Expeditions and have custom axles made. This will give you a better handling car. You are going to need to know the correct flange to flange measurement or backing plate to backing plate. Which ever way you choise, over build the car. This will save you money in the long run if you abuse it a little. Which we all do. Rick L.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was actually looking at the Ford T10 the ones used in the 60's falcons and such. It looks the same as the GM trani only it has the ford style bolt pattern for the bell housing. So now im try'n to figure out if i can use a bell housing from a FE bb truck motor. I found one that had a 4 speed but its the truck style 4 speed. Has the same spline but i wonder if its longer or shorter input shaft. If its the same i would assume it would allow me to bolt a ford T10 right up. Not trying to build a corrcet shelby but The T10 is a very strong trans. I'll use any shifter that fits. I actually dislike the bent style but if the shifter was staight up it wold be hard to reach correct?

As for wheels I was thinking about using a set of 17's. 17x9 front 17x10.5 rear. with goodyear.

thanx,
dan