Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
September 2024
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30          

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwshira

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2024, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Dart aluminum block, AFR aluminum heads.
Not Ranked     
Default Need advice from experienced Windsor builder

Just replaced my harmonic damper because the old one had gotten antifreeze dripped on it during life with the P.O., and was impossible to read the markings.
I decided to check to see that TDC on the damper (zero degrees) lined up correctly with the timing tab when the number one piston was at TDC.
Put a piston stop in #1, and ran it around both directions. Yes, checked to make sure I was on compression stroke, just because.
I found that when I hit the stop when going in normal crank rotation direction, it stopped at 4 degrees before the zero degree mark. (4 degrees BTDC)
Spun it the other way, and it stopped at 12 degrees before the zero mark. (12 degrees ATDC)
16 degrees total difference between the two marks.
To me, this tells me that I would turn the crank in its normal rotation direction for 8 more degrees, and I'd be at true TDC. (I know there's some slop, but I'm not going to pull the head to check it the "right way."

If I do that, the timing tab is going to be sitting at a point 4 degrees on the ATDC side of zero.

Here's where I'm confusing myself:
In a perfect world, I'd move the timing tab so that after I rotated that extra 8 degrees, it lined up on the zero mark.
I think that means I'd move the tab 4 degrees clockwise, viewed from the front of the motor.
Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right track? (or not)

But...even if I am right, the timing tab can't be adjusted. It's bolted firmly to the block with no provision to change its location.

So...how do I deal with that?

Do I just do the mental math when I put a timing light on it and make an allowance for the "missing" 4 degrees?

Sorry for the length of this, but it's driving me buggy and I hope someone out there can clear this up for me.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The way you found TDC is correct. I would mark the balancer with the correct 0 or maybe use the stick on timing tape from Summit Racing to mark it.

John
Old 08-29-2024, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I'm not a big fan of the tape, as it's a temporary solution. You'll have to go through this process every time you adjust timing.

Use a quality paint pen, and mark 0*, 10* and 15*.

Or, you can buy and adjustable timing pointers from summit racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-block-windsor
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 08-29-2024, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not a big fan of the tape, as it's a temporary solution. You'll have to go through this process every time you adjust timing.

Use a quality paint pen, and mark 0*, 10* and 15*.

Or, you can buy and adjustable timing pointers from summit racing.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...-block-windsor
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 08-29-2024, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Apparently, I have a stutter. So I got that going for me.
www.RacingtheExocet.com

Last edited by bobcowan; 08-29-2024 at 10:30 AM..
Old 08-30-2024, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Another thing to consider on timing:
Comp cams and others grind their cams 4 or 5* advanced so when decreeing in a cam it might make a difference if you want to run the cam straight up and adjust it at TDC.
Perry
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, Edelbrock AVS carb and heads, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Posi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HPD, I understand about cams being ground as you describe, but all I did was pull a balancer off and put a new one on. I would have thought that if the timing mark lined up with zero on the old balancer, it would be the same on the new one. I'm not sure how the cam grind would affect that, but if I'm missing something, please give me a bit more explanation.
Old 08-31-2024, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshira View Post
HPD, I understand about cams being ground as you describe, but all I did was pull a balancer off and put a new one on. I would have thought that if the timing mark lined up with zero on the old balancer, it would be the same on the new one. I'm not sure how the cam grind would affect that, but if I'm missing something, please give me a bit more explanation.
Here is the important piece of the puzzle. The new balancer is clearly wrong.
The original combo showed all the possibilities of any error did not exist.

And we all know that this not related to cam timing.

But just for your info, your first pass at kissing the piston stop is at 4 BTDC on the compression stroke.
Now when turn the engine backwards to strike the stop again, you are chasing the inlet valve opening point, and around 10 ATDC is the closest point for piston to valve clearance, coincidence?
I would find another stop that kisses earlier in the stroke, and repeat your tests. For example, if you get 46 BTDC ad 54 ATDC instead of 50 in both directions, then your balancer is still incorrect.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 08-31-2024 at 05:11 AM..
Old 09-01-2024, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gaz64,
Did as suggested.
Got 16*BTDC, 24*ATDC
Still places pointer, when crank is turned 20* past the piston stop point, at 4*ATDC.
I've ordered an adjustable pointer that has 4* of adjustment, so I should be good to go.

Why is the degree scale on the balancer off?
Don't know, and I've concluded I don't care.
If the adjustable pointer lets me set the pointer to the zero mark when I know the piston is at TDC, I think I've got it covered.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and input.
Gaz64 likes this.

Tags
351 windsor, harmonic balancer, timing issue